Wednesday 26 September 2012

Nigellas spaghetti spice


Being the cookbook addict I am I of course preordered Nigella Lawsons Nigellissima book and was pretty happy when it arrived. Nothing quite like a new book to read and fall in love with. I hadn't actually cooked anything from it though as things have been a bit busy or we were already set on having certain meals already.

 Today however knocked me sideways.  With a sickly cold that had attacked my chest and a migraine that just would not quit I spent to day feeling rather sorry for myself. I had made sure the kids had eaten and got Luke off to bed and as migraine faded I realised that I was ravenous after a day of no food and was craving something like pasta.  But what to put on it? Really was not in the mood for cooking a sauce to or just cheese on it.  Then my mind flashed to the spaghetti spice Nigella has in her book.  I had already bought some dried parsley and chilli flakes for this last week thinking I would have it ready in cupboard but me being me never got around to it.It is a simple mix of 4 ingredients 
Dried parsley
Sea salt flakes
Chilli flakes
Garlic granules
 mixed up together in a bowl and jarred it looks quite colourful. using it proved simple to for every 100 grams of dried spaghetti you use 2 teaspoons of the mix put into still warm pasta pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss the pasta back in to coat with a little reserved pasta cooking water.



Now it's a good job I love spicy things because for some it could be a little hot.  But on the other hand if you are a follower of Nigella you are already aware she loves her chillis and heat :o)  I found the chillis were a strong flavour obviously and the garlic took a less starring role but brought it all together.  The parsley is nowhere near as strong as I thought it would be.  But all in all a great balanced spice mix  Which will become a store cupboard staple for me for that odd solitary bowl of pasta I have now and again.  I must get older son to try it to as think it is so simple to use he might just be tricked into cooking pasta instead of walking to the local takeaway instead of cooking. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks fab, I think I will make some up in a jar for next time I am stuck for dinner ideas, now I think of it, jars of it would make a nice Christmas present! I was thinking of getting the book so it's nice to hear from someone who has it! Let us know if you try any other recipes

    Stephanie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, Nigella says this mix is enough to fill 4 110 ml jars I think it was. And it would indeed make great gifts. A pack of gourmet spaghetti, a jar of this and a home baked treat and well on your way to a wonderful foodie hamper I think ;o)

      Will certainly let you know if I try out more things in the book

      Jules x

      Delete